[xep-support] PDFs are large

Henning, Bill Bill.Henning at AntaresSolutions.com
Mon Sep 26 08:22:31 PDT 2005

I've found that the by setting the KERN option to false in the xep.xml
file, you cut the PDF file size in half, which matches the older XEP 3.x
functionality.

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xep-support at renderx.com
[mailto:owner-xep-support at renderx.com] On Behalf Of Chris Ridd
Sent: Saturday, September 24, 2005 1:26 PM
To: xep-support at renderx.com
Subject: [xep-support] PDFs are large

Hi,

I've been experimenting with xep (XEP 4.4 build 20050822), and am
wondering
if there's any way to decrease the size of the PDFs produced.

A quick test on a nine page doc full of Helvetica and Times text
produces a
55550 byte file, but if I make xep produce Postscript (which contains
pdfmarks) and then distill that using Distiller 5.something, the
resulting
file is 43309 bytes.

I tried changing xep-pdf-linearize from false (default) to true, but the
size just increased by 3 bytes :-( I couldn't see any other knobs that
looked worth tweaking.

Obviously 10K is not a particular problem, but I'm concerned about what
will
happen when we scale up to 600 page docs containing lots of bitmapped
graphics.

Cheers,

Chris

http://www.renderx.com/terms-of-service.html

CONFIDENTIALITY  NOTICE:   This message is  intended only for the use of
the  individual or  entity to  which it is  addressed  and  may  contain
information  that is privileged,  confidential or exempt from disclosure
by law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or
the  employee  or agent responsible  for delivering  the message  to the
intended  recipient,  you  are  hereby  notified that  you are  strictly
prohibited  from   printing,  storing,  disseminating,  distributing  or
copying  this message.   If you have  received  this message  in  error,
please notify us immediately  by replying to the message and deleting it
from your computer.   Neither this information block,  the typed name of
the sender,  nor anything else in this message is intended to constitute
an electronic signature,  unless a specific statement to the contrary is
included in this message.  Thank you, Antares Management Solutions.