[xep-support] missing special hyphenation character

Bob Stayton bobs at sagehill.net
Thu Sep 1 17:01:29 PDT 2005

Hi,
I'm trying to use the character ↵ (carriage return symbol)  as the
value of hyphenation-character in a block that displays a code sample.  The
carriage return symbol indicates that a long line of code is broken in the
display.  But it appears that the font selection process does not take place
for the hyphenation character.  Here is a short sample that illustrates the
problem.

<fo:block
      font-family="Courier New, Arial Unicode MS"
      hyphenate="true"
      font-selection-strategy="character-by-character"
      hyphenation-character="&#x21B5;">
SometextinthefirstlineandmaybeasecondlineSometextinthefirstlineandmaybeaseco
ndlineSometextinthefirstlineandmaybeasecondlineSome text
</fo:block>

This displays in the PDF an empty square box where the symbol should be at
the end of the hyphenated line.

When I use font-family="Courier New", then I get the same thing.

When I use font-family="Arial Unicode MS", then I get the right symbol, but
my code text is not in the right font.

Now the weird part:  if I put the &#x21B5; character in the line of text
within the block, then it renders fine inline *and* it shows as the
hyphenation character.  I can even insert inline another character from that
font (such as &#x22A4;), and I will still get the correct hyphenation
symbol.  That suggests that the secondary font is not being loaded based on
the hyphenation-character, but once it is loaded for the text, it becomes
available for the hyphenation.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting