[xep-support] extract page numbers to create index in separate pdf file

CRW150@yahoo.com crw150 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 28 05:43:37 PDT 2005

Hello,

I need to create a main document in one .pdf file and an index for that
document in a separate .pdf file. I know this has been addressed before
on this list. I've read all the threads I could find, the XEP
documentation on intermediate output, and everything I can find
Googling for "extract page number" and "XEP intermediate". I have no
problem writing stylesheets to create an index at the end of a document
when the output is a single .pdf file. But I get lost trying to
separate them. I don't understand the "big picture". Please tell me
what keywords I should search for. Or, are there example stylesheets
available somewhere for this process? I know how to create a file in
XEP intermediate format, and how to transform that into a .pdf file.
But I need to see an example of how to run XSLT on the intermediate
file to split it into two XEP intermediate files (main document and
index) before transforming into .pdf. The point being to preserve the
page numbers. Perhaps I am not creating all that's necessary in the .fo
file before converting it to XEP intermediate format. I don't know.

I hope this makes sense. I would appreciate any pointers to examples or
information sources.

Thanks,
Susan