[xep-support] Re: [docbook-apps] how to embed basic fonts

Alexander Peshkov peshkov at renderx.com
Wed Oct 26 02:05:58 PDT 2005

Hello Cheryl,

This question is more suitable for the xep-support list, so I'll
cross-post my answer there. In order to embed a font you should have
font outlines available and make appropriate changes in the font
configuration in xep.xml. In this particular case you are using
standard Adobe Type1 fonts. Metrics for these fonts (.afm files) are
shipped with XEP, however in order to embed such font you'll need font
outlines as well (.pfb or .pfa files) - we don't have a license to
redistribute them; only font metrics are public. So you have to either
find/buy outlines for these fonts or use some other fonts - for
example, Windows comes with some TrueType fonts (like Times and Arial)
which can be embedded without any problems. Moreover if you look
inside of xep.xml you'll find a commented section with ready to use
configuration for these fonts. XEP font configuration is thoroughly
described in Section 2.4. of XEP Reference manual.

Best regards,
Alexander Peshkov                             mailto:peshkov at renderx.com
RenderX