[xep-support] Support of special types of spaces

Broberg, Mats mabr at flir.se
Thu Oct 20 00:44:14 PDT 2005

Dear all,

This discussion seems to have come to a dead end and this will be my
last post on the subject.

A few remarks, though:

1: Anyone who has worked as a professional typesetter - or even an
amateur who has read a few styleguides or books about typesetting -
knows that fixed spaces are needed in all of the instances that I, David
Priest and others gave as examples in this discussion. It's a feature
that is of such paramount importance in high-end typesetting that the
fact that one even needs to discuss it is beyond my imagination. How it
is solved technically is of less importance to the typesetter, but the
fixed spaces need to be easily entered, correctly processed and properly
output at the desired width. Period.

2: The fact that XSL omit the support for fixed spaces troubles me. I'm
sure the members of the XSL working group are grand programmers, but the
fact that there is no support for fixed spaces reveals an alarming lack
of understanding of high-end typesetting and the tools, features and
functions a professional typesetter need to carry out his work.
Regretfully, the omission of support for fixed spaces is not the only
example.

Best regards,
Mats Broberg
Technical Documentation Manager