[xep-support] Support of special types of spaces

Carlos Villegas cav at uniscope.jp
Wed Oct 19 03:04:46 PDT 2005

I agree.

However, some of these typographical spaces had a very specific purpose.
For example the space between a word and a specific punctuation mark. In
this case, the font designer has already taken care of it and there
should be no space at all before punctuation marks. If necessary the
formatter should use information inside the font such as kerning to
alter those spaces depending on context.

Nevertherless, high quality typesetting still requires specific spaces
in certain contexts that are impossible for the formatter to determine
reliably. For example, those depending on semantics, I can't think of an
example now but I'm aware that there are cases when reading about
typography and TeX, for instance. In those cases, human intervention is
required, in this case in the form of XML tagging. That's why we need
support in the formatter to specify those spaces using the same terms of
traditional typography. That's the reason they were included in Unicode
after all. Notice also that even if space between words is allowed to
vary we still need some spaces in some cases to remain fixed. For
example the space in "Fig. 1", a non-breakable space of a specific width
probably accounted for in high quality typography.

As David said you can get around using fo:leader but as you said also it
will be more convenient if the formatter handled those spaces directly.

My 2 cents...

Carlos