[xep-support] FO output

Eliot Kimber ekimber at innodata-isogen.com
Tue Oct 4 11:04:23 PDT 2005

Bob Cirilli wrote:

   However,
> the XSLT processor we are using to do this is introducing many more
> formatting problems, and I would rather use XEP's technology for both
> steps if possible.

It shouldn't matter what XSLT engine you use to generate the FO
(assuming you're not using proprietary XSLT extensions). That is, it
shouldn't be possible for the XSLT process to "introduce formatting
problems" as the output of a given XSLT transform should be the same
from any conforming XSLT engine.

What sort of formatting problems are you having?

Therefore you shouldn't have any dependency on using the XSLT engine
integrated with XEP and should be able to use any useful XSLT engine to
generate the FO instance.

I'm assuming that you are putting the embedded FO content into CDATA
marked sections--that's the only way that it would not be a parsed part
of the output tree. Is there any reason you don't just allow those
elements as real elements in the input document? I do this with one of
my personal document types. That would eliminate the parsing problem.
The only potential issue here is that you might want to have a special
element to contain all the FO content so that you can more easily
control where it is allowed within a given document.

Cheers,

Eliot

--
W. Eliot Kimber