[xep-support] possible to create a table title that has "continued" at the end after a page/column wrap?

Chris Bowditch bowditch_chris at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 7 03:32:11 PST 2005

David Tolpin wrote:

>> Well, can't you measure the header after the marker content is
>> retrieved?
>

> One who will implement it, will have to; and then reformat the  table's
> content to find out whether the anchor still fits -- for  every anchor;
> or impose restrictions on floats' interaction tables.

Certainly for the documents I have come across that needed table
markers, floats were not needed. So it would be a reasonable compromise
to not allow floats if table markers are used and vice versa.

> XEP does not have a single traditional layout algorithm simply  because
> I knew very little about them when I started. The problem is  not
> whether it is possible to provide a markup convenient for  rendering
> table subtotals; the problem is that the way it is  specified in XSL 1.1
> is a disaster. A disaster that imposes a very  limited choice on the
> implementer:
>
>    - introduce restrictions and deviation from the specification  into
> the implementation to provide the feature and still keep the  software
> reliable
>   - adhere to the recommendation and trap the user in border cases.

I think either would be acceptable for the documents that I've seen. It
would be good to get some input from the XSL-FO Sub group and other
folks who need to generate complex statement type documents.

Chris