[xep-support] XEP 4.3 breaks a block in the middle

Alexander Peshkov peshkov at renderx.com
Sat May 14 01:42:38 PDT 2005

Hello Martin,

You have hit a know limitation of XEP (it was already discussed on
this list, see http://www.renderx.net/lists/xep-support/3239.html)
In your FO there is and empty block with keep-with-next on it after
the problematic section:
                  <fo:block font-size="10pt" font-family="serif" space-before="0.5cm">
                     <fo:block font-size="16pt" font-weight="bold" padding="0.25cm" keep-with-next.within-column="always" keep-with-next.within-page="always"/>
                  </fo:block>

Due to peculiarity in keep processing in XEP keeps from the empty
block may be applied to the preceding element. In your case the whole
section block is glued to the next section so XEP tries to satisfy
this constraint and carries two lines of last paragraph text (as
prescribed by 'widows') to the next page.
In order to circumvent this problem you have to remove empty block
completely or fill it up with empty fo:leader (not that in the latter
case you will have an additional gap on the page - your block has
space-before attribute).

Best regards,
Alexander Peshkov                             mailto:peshkov at renderx.com
RenderX