[xep-support] v3.8 vs v4.3 query re fo:external graphic src='url()'>

Mike Trotman mike.trotman at datalucid.com
Tue May 10 11:17:26 PDT 2005

I use XEP 3.8 for formatting certain documents where I need XSLFO
compliance / features not provided by Apache FOP.

I have been evaluating XEP 4.3 recently - and consequently testing XEP
on a wider range of documents than normal.

When building documents containing this sort of thing:
 <fo:external-graphic
src='url(http://mywebserver/cgi-bin/get_image.pl?type=png)'/>
or even
 <fo:external-graphic src='url(http://mywebserver/images/pic.jpg)'/>

The same behaviour occurs whether the URL is enclosed in "" or not.

FOP and XEP 4.3 correctly retrieve the graphics from my web server -
whereas XEP 3.8.4 does not
and gives the error:
        [warning] Could not retrieve image from
'http://www.mywebserver.com/DRE/images/2001.jpg':
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /usr/java/XEP/3.8/tmp/cache0/1.tmp (No
such file or directory)

Was this a bug / partial implementatio of url() in 3.8 (and was it ever
fixed?)
or is it a configuration parameter / security measure I am not setting?

I ask because I would like to have a v3.8.nnn where this feature works -
as I don't want to have to upgrade to v4.3 just to fix this.
(There may be other 4.3 features that will make me want to upgrade
(related to tables / SVG etc.)- but not so far.)

Mike