[xep-support] UTF data format

Mike Trotman mike.trotman at datalucid.com
Mon May 2 08:14:51 PDT 2005

As you XML file seems to be plain and correct UTF8 my guess is that your
XSLT transformation is adding non-UTF8 characters
and you are also not specifying the encoding of the output FO XML.
(hard to check quickly as the XSLT doesn't contain any line breaks)

You probably need to specify the correct encoding for what you are
entering in the XSLT
(and use an <xsl:output> element to specify the encoding to be output)
It might also be safer to use Unicode character entity specifications of
your characters so that they get output correctly
i.e. that they DO specify the character that you want)

Whatever you do - don't hack about with the bytes in an XML file!

Mike