[xep-support] Open type fonts and XEP

Alexei Gagarinov agagarinov at renderx.com
Mon Mar 14 09:43:49 PST 2005

Hello Robert,

Current version of XEP performs automatic font stretching/condensing as
required by 'font-stretch' value. Indeed, it make sence to use specially
designed font instead if there is one. This possibility become viable since
we have added support for OTF fonts because these fonts often include
separate outlines for condensed or other special font faces. We will
consider your question as a request for enhancement - adding 'font-stretch'
property to the font configuration could be usefull. The same applies to the
'font-variant' property. Thanks for the pointer.

Nevertheless you may use all of your fonts with the current version of XEP.
For example,  in order to make 'Minion Pro Caption' font working you need to
specify it as a separate font-family element in the XEP configuration file
like this:
and then refer it in your XSL-FO document in the following way:
      <fo:block font-family="MinionPro-Capt">some text</fo:block>
Phrase "some text" should appear in 'Minion Pro Caption' font.

With regards,
  Alexei Gagarinov
RenderX