[xep-support] Vertical fill

Eliot Kimber ekimber at innodata-isogen.com
Wed Jun 22 11:51:25 PDT 2005

Thomas Schraitle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to position two blocks on a page in the following way:
>
> +----------------+
> |   first block  |
> |                |
> |                |
> |                |
> |                |
> |  second block  |
> +----------------+
>
> In other words: I need a "vertical fill" between the first and the second
> block. It is like \vfill in LaTeX. How can I do this in XSL-FO?

Short of a proprietary extension, the closest you can get is to make the
second block a footnote with no footnote region separator. Of course,
that only works if you control the fact that "first block" starts the
page and it is the only content within the main flow on that page.

But there is no general vertical justification mechanism in XSL 1.0 or 1.1.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber