[xep-support] Splitting of large document

Mike Trotman mike.trotman at datalucid.com
Fri Jun 3 04:05:45 PDT 2005

I have successfully processed 100mB+ documents of 1000+ pages - mainly
consisting of heavily formatted tables with 15 x 20 cells per page,
multiple pages per table, lots of data per cell, footnotes etc.
This included bookmarks and a simple Table Of Contents with internal
links to individual tables.

By placing each table / document chunk within a separate
<fo:page-sequence> I was able to keep the memory requirements very low
(not much more than the default).
I'm now also using XSLT pre-processing where I produce each
<fo:page-sequence> in a separate XSL-FO file and generate  a master
processing document which sets up regions and page masters
and contains a list of the separate <fo:page-sequence> files to include.
I then process this master list with a simple XSLT to produce the final
FO for output to PDF.

I haven't used indexes (the TOC references etc. are constructed by the
XSLT) - so don't know what sort of overhead this produces.

Mike