[xep-support] white-space-treatment and -collapse

G. Ken Holman gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Fri Jul 22 09:00:56 PDT 2005

At 2005-07-22 15:32 +0200, Peter Gerstbach wrote:
>Interestingly the fo-prefix was not visible in the intermediate fo file;
>but it was in the XML infoset!

What is important is that the XSL-FO vocabulary be in the XSL-FO namespace,
which doesn't require a prefix if you use the default namespace.

I use XEP in my XSL-FO classroom and all of my exercises (and my personal
XSL-FO work) is done in the default namespace.  This prevents having "fo:"
all through my files.

Not everyone subscribes to this practice, and it has gotten in the way for
non-XML-based XSL-FO formatters that rely on the "fo:" prefix (they aren't
using XML processors on the front end, only angle-bracket processors).

But, it is a personal preference and when I teach XSL-FO all of my
projected examples use the default namespace.  For new students, I find
that this makes XSL-FO seem "as easy as HTML" which is also often (always?)
written in the default namespace.

Below is my "sandbox XSL-FO instance".  Note that I have a redundant
declaration of the default namespace in the <flow> element, as this allows
me to post to mail lists only the flow of an answer (without a page
sequence) and readers of the mail list can then paste the entire flow into
their own page sequence, even if they use "fo:" because my content uses the
default namespace.  When doing XSL-FO work (as opposed to testing) I only
declare the default namespace on the document element.

I hope this helps.

. . . . . Ken

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?><!--raw.fo-->
<root xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"
       font-family="Times" font-size="20pt">

   <layout-master-set>
     <simple-page-master master-name="frame"
                         page-height="297mm" page-width="210mm"
                         margin-top="15mm" margin-bottom="15mm"
                         margin-left="15mm" margin-right="15mm">
       <region-body region-name="frame-body"/>
     </simple-page-master>
   </layout-master-set>

   <page-sequence master-reference="frame">
     <flow flow-name="frame-body" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format">
       <block>This is a test</block>
     </flow>
   </page-sequence>
</root>

G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc