[xep-support] Bold or italic Korean font does not work

Alexei Gagarinov agagarinov at renderx.com
Thu Jul 14 04:27:02 PDT 2005

Hello Uwe,

> 2. Does anyone know if the font we use is capable of
> font weight bold or font style italic at all?

Standard Korean fonts have no bold or italic variants.

Despite that, Adobe Acrobat can automatically apply the bold facing for
*any* font if  the font name has a special form, namely '<fontname>, Bold'.

Earlier versions of XEP takes font names from 'font name' entry in the font
configuration file and passes it to PDF file untouched.
So PDF documents created by XEP 3.6 or earlier can be displayed with bold
Korean characters (in Acrobat only).

Since version 3.7, XEP relies only on the actual font face defined by font
authors (that is on a real font data read from a 'ttf' file), rather then on
the 'font name' entry in the font configuration file. Therefore the only way
to display bold characters properly is to supply font with bold-faced
outlines.

> Using the scenario above, if we have a mixture of Latin
> and Korean characters in sequence the XEP output will apply
> (e.g.) font weight bold to the first sequence of Latin
> characters until it comes across the first Korean characters
> and does not switch back to font weight bold for the rest of
> the Latin characters. Is this a known problem?
> If so is there any fix for it?

This is a correct behavior; it is defined by font selection strategy used by
default.
Setting 'font-selection-strategy="character-by-character"' will give you the
desired visual result.

Best regards,
  Alexei Gagarinov
RenderX