[xep-support] Preserving whitespace in programlisting output

Kenneth Johansson ke-joh at sectra.se
Mon Jul 11 01:49:07 PDT 2005

Hi David,

In general I agree with you that HTML might be a better choice for online reading, but the readers require PDFs in this case, so
creating another format is not an option.

We use CHM and PDF for User guides and PDF for sysadm, installation and upgrade guides.

The installation engineers use the PDF both online and in binders. Mostly they copy commands but occasionally they copy chunks of
code, like this:

WISE =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS =
(PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = <WISE_HOST>)(PORT = 1521)
)
)
(CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = WISE)
)
)

which was copied from a PDF loosing all the indention.

Btw, I don't have a problem with tabs since we don't use tabs in our programlistings, but rather with whitespaces which I'd expect
would be available in the PDF.

/Kenneth

Kenneth Johansson       Technical Documentation Manager
Sectra Imtec AB
Teknikringen 20         E-mail: ke-joh AT sectra DOT se
SE-583 30 Linköping     Phone:  +46 13 23 52 00
SWEDEN                  Web:    http://www.sectra.se <http://www.sectra.se/>

  _____