[xep-support] XEP Logging

Alexander Peshkov peshkov at renderx.com
Mon Jul 4 06:33:19 PDT 2005

Hello Jorge,

Most probably you have large LZW-encoded TIFF images. In order to
avoid some printer-specific issues XEP decodes all LZW streams and
re-compress image data using Flate encoding. This operation can be
quite lengthy and it does not produce any special events that should
be logged since it is atomic.

Best regards,
Alexander Peshkov                             mailto:peshkov at renderx.com
RenderX

JBid> Hi all,

JBid> we are using XEP as PDF renderer integrated with
JBid> our JAVA based database publishing system. During the rendering
JBid> of the XSL-FO files produced by our system we just pass
JBid> the log messages coming from XEP through to our system in order
JBid> to give the user feedback about the rendering process.

JBid> However, if the XSL-FO file contains many image file references
JBid> (we use TIFF images) the rendering process takes a lot of
JBid> time but we don't get any log messages about the progress of the
JBid> rendering. All log messages are produced at the beginnig of the
JBid> generation until state "generate" and event "page-number" for the last
JBid> page. After this event the rendering process takes at least 10 more
JBid> minutes but XEP doesn't produce any log messages.

JBid> Does anyone know what XEP does during this time after the last event?
JBid> Is XEP rendering the TIFF images? Can this image rendering be logged?

JBid> Thank you very much in advanced.