[xep-support] How to use <fo:footnote> properly?

Alexander Peshkov peshkov at renderx.com
Tue Jan 18 03:48:00 PST 2005

Hello Ching,

There is no such functionality in XSL-FO 1.0. As a workaround I can
suggest you to use markers. In your case where will be special marker
class that holds footnote body and respective fo:retrieve-marker in
the static content (xsl-region-after). It will look like this:

<xsl:template match="code">
  <fo:block>
    <xsl:if test="star='true'">
        <fo:marker marker-class-name="asterisc-footnote"><fo:block>* requires extra digit.</fo:block></fo:marker> *
    </xsl:if>
    <xsl:apply-templates select="codeValue"/>
  </fo:block>
</xsl:template>

and then in the static-content will look like this:

<fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-after">
  <fo:block>
    <fo:retrieve-marker retrieve-class-name="asterisc-footnote"
                        retrieve-boundary="page"
                        retrieve-position="first-starting-within-page"/>
  </fo:block>
</fo:static-content>

Note that a drawback of this approach is an empty area (in the
static-content) when no markers are present on the page.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Alexander Peshkov                             mailto:peshkov at renderx.com
RenderX