[xep-support] Footnote-like explanations

klists at saphor.de klists at saphor.de
Tue Jan 11 01:38:20 PST 2005

Dear Colleagues,

for a project I have content of the type:

******************

more text more
more text more

******************

This should be rendered as

******************

text^w more text more text^p more text more text^w more text

[footnote area] w: warning
                p: pointer

*******************

(with ^w and ^p symbolizing superscript letters).

In other words, each "footnote" must appear at most once on a given
page, figuring as an explanation to the main text. If an explanation
of a given type does not exist on a given page, no corresponding
footnote should be shown.

The main body of the text, in reality a highly complex hierarchy of
nested tables, can be rendered very well using XSL:FO and XEP
(3.84). However, I'm pretty much at a loss how I can implement this
specific requirement. Any idea how it might work, if necessary using
the developer version of XEP?

Thanks in advance for any pointer!

Best regards,

Marc