[xep-support] SVG images resolving

Rick Geimer Rick.Geimer at nsc.com
Thu Feb 3 11:10:33 PST 2005

Why not setup your web server to deliver the required images from the database?

Rick Geimer
National Semiconductor
rick.geimer at nsc.com

                      "Jonathan Gray"
                      <Jonathan.Gray at agil        To:       xep-support at renderx.com
                      isys.co.uk>                cc:
                      Sent by:                   Subject:  [xep-support] SVG images resolving
                      owner-xep-support at r
                      enderx.com

                      02/03/2005 10:04 AM
                      Please respond to
                      xep-support

I make extensive use of SVG images in my xsl:fo using the
instream-foreign-object element (see example below).  What I'd like to be able
to intercept the calls that RenderX makes when trying to source the images
(xlink:href) and rather than going to the file system or the local web server
(if we specify xml:base as http://localhost/) I would like to retrieve the
images from a database.  I have had a look into URIResolver and EntityResolver
but neither of these go down to the required level.

Is there anyway that I can do this with RenderX?  Either using a java library or
chaging my xsl so that the URIResolver/EntityResolver are called whenever an
image is requested?

<fo:instream-foreign-object xmlns:svg="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" border="0pt"
padding="0pt" width="100%" content-width="scale-to-fit" content-height="21cm">
                                                <svg:svg width="594px"
height="420px" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
                                                            <svg:svg
id="bookmarkFront" width="594px" height="420px">
                                    <svg:rect id="background" x="0" y="0"
width="594" height="420"
                                                style="fill:rgb(255,255,255)" />
                                    <svg:image x="40" y="20" width="120"
height="380"

xlink:href="/templateImages/bookmark/art1.jpg"
                                                xmlns:xlink="
http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" />
                                    <svg:image x="237" y="20" width="120"
height="380"

xlink:href="/templateImages/bookmark/art2.jpg"
                                                xmlns:xlink="
http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" />
                                    <svg:image x="434" y="20" width="120"
height="380"

xlink:href="/templateImages/bookmark/art3.jpg"
                                                xmlns:xlink="
http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" />
                                    <svg:text font-weight="bold" fill="#000000"
style="" x="279.85"
                                                y="67.05" text-anchor="middle"
font-size="20px"
                                                font-family="Arial">if you can