[xep-support] Please tell us how to decrease pdf file size

Brian J. Butler bjbutler at bjbsoftware.com
Thu Aug 18 04:51:04 PDT 2005

Open XEP.XML and set the COMPRESS line as shown below:

    <!-- Backend options -->
    <generator-options format="PDF">
      <option name="COMPRESS" value="true"/>
      <!-- <option name="PDF_VERSION" value="1.3"/> -->
    </generator-options>

Using compression greatly increases the amount of memory used.  If you
have a large document, it might be better to create an uncompressed PDF
and then compress it with Adobe Acrobat.  With Acrobat, simply open the
document and Save As another file after setting the compression options.

We create a document that is about 2.7GB before compression and about
80MB after compression using this technique.

BJB

--
Brian J. Butler
BJB Software, Inc.