[xep-support] How to prevent region-body from going into region-after

Chris Cosentino ccosenti at cisco.com
Fri Apr 29 09:08:47 PDT 2005

Hi Viking,

Typing "CSS Margin shorthand" into google and clicking "I'm Feeling
Lucky" results in http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_margin.asp

TOP RIGHT BOTTOM LEFT

Friday, April 29, 2005, 11:24:07 AM, vikingway2deal at mycingular.blackberry.net wrote:
v> This is an emergency and I ama newbie to xslfo
v> What is in the shorthand notation for margin

v> -----Original Message-----
v> From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com>
v> Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:47:06
v> To:xep-support at renderx.com
v> Subject: Re: [xep-support] How to prevent region-body from going into
v>   region-after

v> At 2005-04-29 11:03 +0000, viking wrote:
>>This happens on some of the input xml files the generated PDF files have
>>the bottom of the body overlapping the region-after

v> The stylesheet writer is responsible for avoiding the overwrite of regions.

v> In some applications (like my UBL stylesheets), it is advantageous to
v> employ this overwrite ability.

>>How can control the margins in the
>>page, region-before, region-body and region-after.

v> You set them yourself.

v> Check page 73 of the freely downloadable excerpt of our XSL-FO book; follow
v> the link in my trailer below to the "Books & free excerpts" link on our
v> home page.

>>Current Settings
>>Simple-page-master
>>   margin-right=".1cm"
>>   margin-left=".1cm"
>>   margin-bottom=".7cm"
>>   margin-top=".1cm"
>>
>>What does region-body
>>Margin="1.5cm 1.5cm .1cm .1cm"/>
>>Mean?

v> Looking at page 73 you'll see how the body margins "push in" the body
v> within the page margins.

>>What does region-before
>>extent="0.8in"
>>padding="0in 0m4in 1pt"
>>mean?

v> The extent is how far the perimeter region extends from the page margins
v> into the body region ... without sufficient room, you will get overwrite.

v> The page margins constrain everything, the body margins constrain the body
v> region within the page margins, the perimeter extents constrain the size of
v> the perimeter as it reaches in towards the body.

>>What does region-after
>>extent="0.8in"
>>padding="0in 0m4in 1pt"
>>mean?

v> Same thing.

v> Note, however, that the XSL-FO 1.0 spec ignores padding for perimeter
v> region ... only the use of the extent= is defined in the spec.

v> I hope this helps.

v> . . . . . . Ken

v> --
v> World-wide on-site corporate, govt. & user group XML/XSL training.
v> G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
v> Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
v> Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0    +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
v> Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc
v> Legal business disclaimers:  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal

v> (*) To unsubscribe, send a message with words 'unsubscribe xep-support'
v> in the body of the message to majordomo at renderx.com from the address
v> you are subscribed from.
v> (*) By using the Service, you expressly agree to these Terms of
v> Service http://www.renderx.com/tos.html

v> Sent via Cingular Xpress Mail with Blackberry