[xep-support] How to prevent region-body from going into region-after

G. Ken Holman gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Fri Apr 29 05:47:06 PDT 2005

At 2005-04-29 11:03 +0000, viking wrote:
>This happens on some of the input xml files the generated PDF files have
>the bottom of the body overlapping the region-after

The stylesheet writer is responsible for avoiding the overwrite of regions.

In some applications (like my UBL stylesheets), it is advantageous to
employ this overwrite ability.

>How can control the margins in the
>page, region-before, region-body and region-after.

You set them yourself.

Check page 73 of the freely downloadable excerpt of our XSL-FO book; follow
the link in my trailer below to the "Books & free excerpts" link on our
home page.

>Current Settings
>Simple-page-master
>   margin-right=".1cm"
>   margin-left=".1cm"
>   margin-bottom=".7cm"
>   margin-top=".1cm"
>
>What does region-body
>Margin="1.5cm 1.5cm .1cm .1cm"/>
>Mean?

Looking at page 73 you'll see how the body margins "push in" the body
within the page margins.

>What does region-before
>extent="0.8in"
>padding="0in 0m4in 1pt"
>mean?

The extent is how far the perimeter region extends from the page margins
into the body region ... without sufficient room, you will get overwrite.

The page margins constrain everything, the body margins constrain the body
region within the page margins, the perimeter extents constrain the size of
the perimeter as it reaches in towards the body.

>What does region-after
>extent="0.8in"
>padding="0in 0m4in 1pt"
>mean?

Same thing.

Note, however, that the XSL-FO 1.0 spec ignores padding for perimeter
region ... only the use of the extent= is defined in the spec.

I hope this helps.

G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc