[xep-support] Performance and synchronization

Irv Salisbury III irv at dotech.com
Fri Apr 22 14:20:38 PDT 2005

The load balancer I am using now makes everything run smoothly.  We have
to enter QA on Monday, so I won't have time to get these exact details
for you right now.  I was thinking of just coding up a test case that
just crams tons of xsl:fo documents at renderx, and hopefully I will get
to that soon.

On a side note, some people on this list did reply to me privately and
had told me they were seeing the same behavior and had done the same
type of workaround.

So, I realize this isn't much help right now, but we lost 4 days
figuring this out so now the project is behind schedule.

 From a high level (which probably won't help much), we have very fine
grained timings in our application.  So, we have timings around just the
single call to renderx to trigger the transformation via SAX.  As soon
as that completes, it stops.  That piece is the only piece of our app
that as we add threads and processors gets slower.  As another
datapoint, when we remove renderx and just render to a file, it scales
fine.  (Doing all the same code, just not calling renderx)  Also, with
FOP in there, it scales fine.  I don't know what other conclusions to
draw.  Our load balancer also makes it scale fine.

Like I said, hopefully I can write a test program that exercises it the
way we do and can hand that over.

For now, the load balancer is working great.

Irv