[xep-support] Performance and synchronization

David Tolpin dvd at davidashen.net
Thu Apr 21 06:18:44 PDT 2005

> It seems like when we go to 4 and 8 processors, the actual rendering
> time goes way up, like something in synchronized in the internals of
> XEP.

Attribute values are memoized in a global weak cache, and when an
attribute is interned in the cache, the call is synchronized. This
saves memory and speeds up many things, but slows the internal parser
on multiprocessor setups. If you don't care about memory, run several
instances of JVM and a load balancer to access them, such as EnMasse.

If hypothesis is correct,  then the slowdown is in the parser, that is,
before the logger starts counting pages.

David