[xep-support] General XEP performance questions

Alexander Peshkov peshkov at renderx.com
Tue Apr 19 06:13:43 PDT 2005

Hello Jan,

JC> My questions:
JC> - How does the size of the images influence the memory and the processor?
JC> - Are the images loaded into the ram?

Images are loaded into the memory but if the same image is being used
several times in a document only one instance of this image will be
present in memory (XEP uses caching).
As for processing resources - JPEGs wouldn't load processor because
XEP just copies their content. Big TIFFs with LZW inside are much more
resource hungry because XEP re-code them in order to get rid of LZW.

JC> - What about the java heap memory (Xmx, Xms)? What is the "best"
JC> setting? I read something about Xmx=<N - 64> and Xms=<N/2> where N
JC> is the amount of memory installed. Does a high memory setting
JC> influence the performance of the webserver a lot?

It depends. If you have small documents it doesn't make much sense to
increase lower memory limit (Xms). If you have big documents you have
no choice but move your Xmx higher or you will get OutOfMemory
exception. Though I think Xmx=<N - 64> is a bit too high since Windows
wouldn't fit easily into 64Mb RAM. Never set Xmx bigger then available
RAM or Java can go into swap and the process will last for ages.
And RAM is cheap nowadays :-)

JC> - What about the processor? How much mhz does it need?

There is no specific requirements - if your OS and recent Java works
fine then it's OK for XEP. Though you will wait less if the CPU is
fast. :-)

All in all your documents as you describe them doesn't look too big -
our customers use XEP to format a way bigger documents so you can feel
safe.

Best regards,
Alexander Peshkov                             mailto:peshkov at renderx.com
RenderX