[xep-support] Running XEP from command line

Peter Desjardins pdesjardins at supplyscape.com
Wed Apr 13 06:48:16 PDT 2005

I am just starting out with XEP desktop and I am having a little trouble
running it from the command line.  I have successfully used XEP via the
GUI.  However, I need to automate the publishing process so the command
line will work better.

Here's what I am doing.

My OS is WindowsXP.  I use Docbook, DocBook XSL, and Saxon to create a
.fo file.  I want XEP to create a PostScript file from that .fo file. I
use Adobe Acrobat Distiller to create the PDF file from the .ps file.

If I launch x4u.bat and open the .fo file and then transform it to .ps
using the GUI, Distiller can create a very nice PDF from the .ps file

I use Cygwin so when I tried to do the same conversion (.fo to .ps) via
the command line, I gave this command:

/cygdrive/c/xep/xep.bat -fo pdf/epedigree-enterprise-guide.fo -out
pdf/epedigree-enterprise-guide.ps

This results in very similar output to what I saw in the GUI console and
it creates the expected .ps file.  However, Distiller cannot convert the
.ps file.  Instead, it writes this to the log file:

**************
%%[ Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: obj ]%%

Stack:
0
70

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

Can someone straighten me out here?  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Peter Desjardins
SupplyScape Corporation
617-453-5760 x441