[xep-support] Stretchable no break space

Jim Melton jim.melton at acm.org
Wed Sep 15 15:29:27 PDT 2004

David,

After spending some time thinking about the reason that you originally made
no-break spaces non-stretchy, I think that the users in question were
mis-using the character.  Using no-break space for forced indenting is
surely not what was intended either by the definers of ISO 8859-1 nor, by
extension, the Unicode Technical Committee, nor (I think) by the XSL FO
designers.  There are more appropriate ways to accomplish the task (such as
using a combination of white-space-treatment="preserve",
linefeed-treatment="preserve", and white-space-collapse="false" in XSL FO,
coupled with ordinary #x20 spaces).

I encourage you to give serious consideration to Jirka's request to make
#xA0 an otherwise-ordinary space that does not allow linebreaking on either
side of it.

Hope this helps,
    Jim

At 03:29 PM 9/15/2004 Wednesday, David Tolpin wrote:
> > If my interperation of XSL-FO is correct I would appreciate fix in XEP.
>
>Jirka,
>
>I'll think about it. I'm inclined to revert the change (I too think
>that a0 should be treated as a space except that it does not allow
>line breaks around), but we must check everything.
>
>David
>you are subscribed from.
>(*) By using the Service, you expressly agree to these Terms of Service
>http://www.renderx.com/tos.html

Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
   Co-Chair, W3C XML Query WG; F&O (etc.) editor    Fax : +1.801.942.3345
Oracle Corporation        Oracle Email: jim dot melton at oracle dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive      Standards email: jim dot melton at acm dot org
Sandy, UT 84093-1063 USA          Personal email: jim at melton dot name