[xep-support] Alignment/space issue with an SVG image in FO with XEP

David Tolpin dvd at davidashen.net
Mon Oct 18 14:45:58 PDT 2004

William McVey:
> On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 10:48, William McVey wrote:
> > When rendered with XEP
> > 3.7.8, I get an annoying one or two pixel gap between the top of the SVG
> > element and the enclosing block
>
> Thinking that the problem might have been a bug that was fixed in later
> releases, I upgraded to XEP 3.8.4 and checked out the generated PDF.
> It's still has the annoying gap between the fo:block and the
> fo:instream-foreign-object. I was surprised though to see that the

This is issue was covered in detail in the past. What you are seeing
is line-leading. Set line-height to 0 on the enclosing block and the gap
will disappear. The XSL FO Recommendation thoroughly discusses  line-stacking-strategy
and calculation of leadings.

> effect I was shooting for is now even more broken than it was before. I
> think the "problem" is related to the following blurb in the WhatsNew
> document:
>
>         Bug fixes
>         =========
>         - Width and height on fo:block elements is duly ignored;
>
> This leads me to wonder what I *should* be using to say that I want a
> floating fo:block element of a particular width. Also, I guess I don't
> understand why the bug fix is to ignore this attribute. It would seem
> that section 7.14.12 indicates the width would be the appropriate
> attribute to use to force the block to be a particular dimension.

The bug fix is to ignore the attribute is because according to XSL FO Recommendation,
width and height do not apply to fo:block, but only to fo:block-container
(and other reference-areas). Compare 6.5.2 and 6.5.3.

David