[xep-support] RenderX, Batik, SVG

Ruth, Brice bruth at Fiskars.com
Mon May 24 14:51:23 PDT 2004

Greetings.

I'm currently in the process of putting together a backend that will
take Illustrator CS created template documents, exported to SVG, then
married with data, to be output as a print-ready PDF. By print-ready, I
mean that this will go to a print shop, not so much a common printer
device. So, things like CMYK & Pantone spot colors are important to
preserve.

I've landed at RenderX, because I'm using Batik, which uses Apache's FOP
backend to generate PDFs from SVG. However, Apache's FOP doesn't handle
colors as well as RenderX supposedly does, so I'm here.

Now - my question to the list is quite simple: can I use RenderX as a
backend to Batik? If not, or if the process would be excessively
complex, can (should?) I use RenderX directly to generate a PDF from
SVG? If so, I'm guessing I'll need to wrap a bit of XML/XSL-FO around my
SVG. Without getting too deep into XSL-FO, what would be the
base-minimum amount of markup I would need to be able to start testing
the RenderX trial version?

What type of documentation is out there for using the more advanced
color extensions for RenderX? Does RenderX only support CMYK, or is
there a way of generating a PDF with spot-color information?! If this
latter point is not possible, what options am I left with to generate a
press-ready PDF?

TIA!
Brice Ruth