[xep-support] from-parent()

Nikolai Grigoriev grig at renderx.com
Wed May 5 04:26:29 PDT 2004

Victor,

> On processing in XEP 3.7.7 client, I receive the following message:
> [warning] Bad attribute start-indent: Cannot add type Word to type Length
>
> I get the same warning with:
>        start-indent="from-parent(start-indent) + 1.5em"

This is a limitation of XEP: you cannot safely do arithmetics with indents
and margins. (Technically, it happens because the default 'start-indent'
is treated not as '0pt' but as a special value, to account for start-indent
redefinition due to margins.). To make additive expressions work,
you can add an explicit start-indent="0" specifier somewhere at the top:
it will populate all descendant nodes with the inherited value. However,
it is more straightforward to use margins for progressive indentation.

Regards,
Nikolai Grigoriev