[xep-support] Repeating before and after borders for tables

G. Ken Holman gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Tue May 4 04:12:23 PDT 2004

At 2004-05-04 11:10 +0200, Werner Donné wrote:
>When a table, having a before and after border, spans several pages,
>XEP doesn't repeat them on the intermediary pages. I know the spec
>doesn't say whether they should be repeated or not.

Actually, it does, but it is not yet supported by XEP and I do not know
when there will be support for it.

>Would it be
>possible to leave it as a choice to the user, for example in the
>form of a property that can be set at initialisation time.

The user can choose to set the conditionality of the border, and the
default for conditionality is (as for all lengths) "discard".

In the example flow below, setting the conditionality to "retain" is meant
to retain the border at the start and end of reference areas as is true for
the regions on the page.

So no changes are needed from a specification perspective ... but I don't
know when this will be on the list of changes for XEP.

..................... Ken

     <flow flow-name="frame-body" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"
           font-size="20pt">
       <block>This is a test</block>
              border-width.conditionality="retain">
               <block space-before="1em">A test line in block</block>
               <block space-before="1em">A test line in block</block>
               <block space-before="1em">A test line in block</block>
               <block space-before="1em">A test line in block</block>
               <block space-before="1em">A test line in block</block>
               <block space-before="1em">A test line in block</block>
               <block space-before="1em">A test line in block</block>
               <block space-before="1em">A test line in block</block>
               <block space-before="1em">A test line in block</block>
               <block space-before="1em">A test line in block</block>
               <block space-before="1em">A test line in block</block>
               <block space-before="1em">A test line in block</block>
               <block space-before="1em">A test line in block</block>
               <block space-before="1em">A test line in block</block>
     </flow>

--
Public courses: Spring 2004 world tour of hands-on XSL instruction
Each week:   Monday-Wednesday: XSLT/XPath; Thursday-Friday: XSL-FO

Hong Kong May 17-21; Bremen Germany May 24-28; Helsinki June 14-18

G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc