[xep-support] Re: [xep-announce] XEP.NET is released

Wood, Ronald rwood at CCBN.com
Mon May 3 13:47:32 PDT 2004

FWIW, I don't think it's the CLR's fault. It seems to be the Java library
that Microsoft provides, since straight Java conversions do not use the
native .Net framework. The Java library is based on JDK 1.1.4 APIs, so it's
very old. It's probably a cruddy port of Microsoft's already cruddy Java
implementation.

When we tested the XEP.NET Beta, we noticed that the slowdown was especially
awful when debugging. We do a lot of .Net development, but have never seen
debugging this slow. It was 1 or 2 orders of magnitudes faster to debug XEP
through the .Net to Com interop, Com to Java interop than to run the
"native" .Net implementation of XEP. There seems to be something terribly
wrong with the Java library during debug since it regularly consumes 100% of
the CPU for things that normally consume a fraction of that (judging by
what's happening when you break and look at the stack).

The performance of non-debug projects was more or less as Nikolai describes.

We do a lot of .Net development and performance, in our experience, is
satisfactory to very good. XEP.Net (because of the Java library) is not a
good indicator of CLR performance in general.

Ronald S. Wood
Programmer
ronald.wood at thomson.com

Thomson/StreetEvents