[xep-support] Height of Table Rows With Empty Content

Nikolai Grigoriev grig at renderx.com
Tue Jan 13 01:36:13 PST 2004

Eliot,

> I think the no-height-specified behavior of XEP is a bug
> since there is content in the cells, which should require
> that the inline areas be rendered at the current line height.

XEP does not treat ZWSP as a content element: we consider
it an empty inline that does nothing except enabling line break
at the specified point. What you see are actually empty blocks.
I am not sure it is a bug; just because the semantics of the
character is to generate neither visible marks nor caret move,
a line made of only ZWSPs can be considered empty.

> The ZWSP is there to force XSL Formatter to preserve
> the blocks (with 2.5R5, XSL Formatter started discarding
> FOs that have empty content). The second and third cells
> have start borders to create the ruler effect.

I'd suggest using a space-filled leader technique:
<fo:block><fo:leader/></fo:block> is a typical
idiom for a block containing a single line. Another
interesting option to create a ruler is by using
instream SVG: this way, you actually draw the ruler,
not emulate it.

Regards,
Nikolai Grigoriev