[xep-support] Blank line <fo:block>&#160;</fo:block>

David Tolpin dvd at davidashen.net
Tue Dec 7 13:19:08 PST 2004

> I was using <fo:block>&#160;</fo:block> in my XSL file with XEP V3.
>
> Now, in V4 my blankline is not print.
>
> I have tried
> <xsl:text>
> </xsl:text>
> <xsl:text>&#x0D;</xsl:text>
> <fo:block>&#x0D;</fo:block>
>
> And a lot of other thing found on google.
>
> They don't work.
>
> Somebody know something about it?

Yes. I do. As a hack, use empty leader:

<fo:block><fo:leader/></fo:block>

It will draw a perfect empty block.
&#160; is now correctly processed as just a space, and a block
that only consists of a space (and no border/padding/margin) should
not leave a trace.

But better yet, use space-before, space-after on adjacent blocks
to leave white space in block-progression-dimension. This is the
right way.

David Tolpin