[xep-support] XEP 3.7.4: Strange font names generated in PDF

Alexander Peshkov peshkov at renderx.com
Fri Aug 20 03:07:00 PDT 2004

Hello Werner,

The line '/BaseFont/GFEDCB+TimesNewRomanPSMT' is a correct one, prefix
"GFEDCB+" appears when the font is subsetted.
The PDF you send us is broken in a curious way - embedded font subset
has zero length. I believe this can happen only in one case: if font
file was accessible to formatter at the initial stage (when font
metrics are parsed) but at the subsetting step it wasn't accessible
anymore. In this case formatter will throw an exception, but if you
have null ErrorHandler set when this exception will be ignored and
you'll get broken PDF. So the questions are:
 1. Are you setting empty ErorrLogger? If not - was there any error
    messages produced by XEP?
 2. Is it possible that access to font files is somehow unstable? Are
    you using NFS? In this case it could be some temporal connectivity
    problem.

Best regards,
Alexander Peshkov                             mailto:peshkov at renderx.com
RenderX