[xep-support] Mixing Chinese and English fonts

Alexander Peshkov peshkov at renderx.com
Tue Aug 10 01:28:33 PDT 2004

Hello Bob,

It seems to me that the natural way to solve your problem is to place
English font before Chinese font in the fonts list and specify
'character-by-character' font selection strategy:
  <fo:block font-family="EnglishFont, ChineseFont" font-selection-strategy="character-by-character">

In this case formatter will use EnglishFont for all Latin characters
and switch to ChineseFont for all Chinese characters. The only
possible drawback is that all common characters (such as punctuation
symbols) will be taken from EnglishFont also (don't know whatever it's
acceptable in your case or not).
As for for font modification - if you use Type 1 font you can simply
remove undesired glyphs records from .afm file in order to make
appropriate glyphs unavailable.

Best regards,
Alexander Peshkov                             mailto:peshkov at renderx.com
RenderX