[xep-support] margin-left inherited as start-indent?

Bob Stayton bobs at sagehill.net
Mon Apr 19 10:08:19 PDT 2004

As part of the maintenance of the DocBook XSL stylesheet, I've been testing
them with the various XSL-FO processors.  I've run into a contradiction
between XEP and Antenna House's XSL Formatter V3 over the behavior of the
margin-left property.

According to the spec, margin-left is not inherited (7.10.3) and
start-indent is inherited (7.10.7). This is the behavior I get from XEP.
When I tested with Antenna House, I found that margin-left was inherited.
When I asked Antenna House support about it, I got this response:

"Please refer to our QandA Page.
http://www.antennahouse.com/support/v2qa/QA-fo.html#QA2002101806
The margin-left is inherited as a start-indent. For example, in the case of
25, parent block-container have a margin-left="1in". This property value is
inherited to child block as a start-indent="1in". The start-indent should be
specified for the child block."

They are refering to section 5.3.2 "Margin, Space, and Indent Properties",
which I have read and do not fully understand. Are they interpreting the
spec wrong, or is XEP missing this feature?

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting
bobs at sagehill.net