[xep-support] space-before attribute

G. Ken Holman gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Tue Apr 13 09:22:21 PDT 2004

At 2004-04-13 11:02 -0500, Chen, Cindy (C)(STP) wrote:
>I just experienced a weird behaviour when I tried to define a space-before
>attribute for a block which is placed inside a table cell.

Note that a table cell generates a reference area and the default for space
before and after at the beginning and end of a reference area is to discard
the space.

>My code is attached. Basiclly I defined a block inside the table cell with
>"space-before" set as 10pt.

But it is being discarded as required in the spec.

> From generated PDF, I wasn't able to see the spaces between the table
> border and the text( it looks like space-after worked fine). But if I
> changed the table cell on line 21 to:
>                             <fo:table-cell border-style="solid">
>I was able to see the spaces.

That seems strange ... I would not have expected that.

>Am I missing anything?

You are missing:  space-before.conditionality="retain"

By adding this property's compound value setting, the processor will not
discard the associated space-before.  I added it to your example, as well
as space-after.conditionality="retain", and the text ended up centred in
the bordered table.

I hope this helps.

--
Public courses: Spring 2004 world tour of hands-on XSL instruction
Each week:   Monday-Wednesday: XSLT/XPath; Thursday-Friday: XSL-FO

G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc