[xep-support] text in a box

Bob Stayton bobs at sagehill.net
Mon Apr 12 10:31:06 PDT 2004

I'm trying to do something I thought would be easy, but I can't seem to find
a way that works.  I'm trying to present a set of fixed lines of text inside
a box.  The linefeeds are preserved, and the box should just fit around the
lines:

+---------------------------+
|First line                 |
|Another line that is longer|
|Third line                 |
+---------------------------+

[this won't display properly in a proportional font. You should see the
right side of the box just containing the longest line of text]

When I add a border to the container block, the box extends all the way
across the page. I only want it to extend just past the longest line of
text.  I can't set a width on the container  block because I don't know what
the width will be since it is determined by the text.

I tried a table, but ran into similar problems of the table always extending
the width of the page unless I specify explicit column widths, which I
cannot.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting