"[xep-support] Emulating an inline table"

Alexander Peshkov peshkov at renderx.com
Thu Sep 25 03:49:07 PDT 2003

Hello Louis,

I can see several possible solutions that will produce appropriate
visual effect without any need to inline-containers or complicated
table designs. The most natural approach demonstrated below:

<fo:block>
  Mandate for
  <fo:inline border-top="thin solid black" alignment-adjust="before-edge" padding-top="2pt">(name of person)</fo:inline>,
  a registered doctor.
</fo:block>

If you wish to move baseline relative to before-edge you can add
baseline-shift. Note that the same effect can be achieved with
baseline-shift alone, however this solution will be less flexible
since you will need to hardcode baseline-shift value.
Another possible approach is to use inline SVG graphic which contains
required design.

Best regards,
Alexander Peshkov                             mailto:peshkov at renderx.com
RenderX