[xep-support] XEP and fonts on Unix (AIX)

Chris Braddock smapdi636 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 11 12:21:28 PDT 2003

>Chris,
>
> > Should I be able to simply copy my (Windows) TTF fonts
> > over to a directory on the Aix box and point to that directory
> > in fonts.xml?
>
>Yes. XEP does all the work for parsing TTF itself: there is no
>dependence of system facilities. TTFs are just binary files; if XEP
>is able to locate it, there should be no difference in the formatting
>result between Windows and AIX.  The files should be identical
>to the last byte; if they are different, then something is
>wrong in your installation. In the latter case, I would like
>to see a couple of files produced from the same source on
>two platforms. Please send them off-list to support at renderx.com;
>I will try to figure out the cause for them being different.

My bad.  I have a web interface that allows users to build PDF files on the
fly (using XEP on the back end obviously).  When the user hits the "Update
Preview" function, I render a PDF, then use ImageMagick's "convert" function
(in combination with GhostScript) to convert the PDF to a JPG and push it
down to the browser so the user gets a true preview of their PDF in a
lightweight JPG form.

As it turns out, the PDFs are being rendered fine.  The fonts are getting
screwed up in the PDF --> JPG conversion process.  I had not seen anything
like this until the move from Win32 to AIX.

Thanks