[xep-support] "Ragged" left alignment when preserving whitespace

Chris Gates cgates at umich.edu
Wed Sep 3 09:27:55 PDT 2003

Hi.
I'm using XEP 3.5.4 on WinXP running Pentium 4 / 1.8Ghz / 640Gb RAM with
Java 1.4.2.

I'm trying to include a block of text inside a table cell.  The text
contains some whitespace and linefeeds which should be preserved, but
longer lines should be wrapped to fit inside the cell.  The problem is
that often when XEP breaks a longer line the next line appears to begin
with a space which makes the left margin appear ragged.

Here is the effect; notice the indent preceding "explicitly":
This explanation text tests that line breaks will occur both where they are
 explicitly placed and also when a given line of text exceeds available
width.

Other notes:
1) I've currently set the block attributes to
white-space-collapse="false" linefeed-treatment="preserve".  (Those are
required to correctly display the source document.)
2) I've tried all combinations of the white-space-tratement attribute
without success.
3) It appears to occur only when the soft break occurs within the last 3
characters of the line.
4) Curiously, when I select the text in Acrobat Reader, there is no
leading space; instead the text simply appears to be indented by a
single character.  (!?)
5) Below is a test case which replicates the problem.  I've replicated
the problem in XEP 2.77 and XEP 3.5.4.  Interestingly, I cannot recreate
the problem using Apache FOP 0.20.5.

Is this a known issue?  Is there a workaround?
Chris Gates
cg

<fo:table table-layout="fixed" font-family="Courier" font-size="10pt">
   <fo:table-column column-width="4in"/>
   <fo:table-body>
      <fo:table-row>
         <fo:table-cell>
<fo:block white-space-collapse="false" linefeed-treatment="preserve">This explanation text tests that line breaks will occur both where they are explicitly placed and also when a given line of text exceeds available width.
</fo:block>
         </fo:table-cell>
      </fo:table-row>
   </fo:table-body>