AW: [xep-support] creating "live" links in PDF output, starting from the <link> tag in XML

Christian Gubeli christian.guebeli at consor.ch
Mon Sep 1 00:42:12 PDT 2003

-----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-xep-support at renderx.com
[mailto:owner-xep-support at renderx.com]Im Auftrag von G. Ken Holman
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 28. August 2003 20:56
An: xep-support at renderx.com
Betreff: Re: [xep-support] creating "live" links in PDF output, starting
from the <link> tag in XML

At 2003-08-28 12:59 -0400, Susan Korgen wrote:
>My XML documents use a lot of internal cross-references.
>So far I cannot get these links to work in PDF.
>
>I need to know:
>
>What syntax do I use in my XSL file,
>so that when I run XEP with this XSL file as input,
>XEP can process the <link> tags in my XML file
>to generate a working link in my output PDF file?
>
>Here are some more details:
>
>By "working link" I mean the reader can click on
>the text while viewing it in in Acrobat, and Acrobat
>will then "jump" to that section of the PDF file.

If you download the free excerpt of our XSL-FO book from our web site
cited
below, this excerpt was produced using XEP and contains a tremendous
number
of local hyperlinks, mostly in the back-of-the-book index, but also
throughout the text.

>The links I need have various targets. Some are defined
>as <sect1>, others <sect2>, or <sect3>, or <sect4>.

One of the XSL-FO objects you produce for each of these will need a
unique
identifier.  The production of areas from these objects will place these

unique identifiers in the area tree.  An XSL-FO processor links to
target
ids in the area tree (not to target ids in the formatting object tree).

>Each of these sections has an identifier defined in its
>attributes, and each identifier is unique across the entire
>book, regardless of which type of section tag is used.

Good!  Then use that identifier in your formatting object that produces
areas in your area tree.  I find when aggregating XML instances that I
cannot use the naked identifier, that I have to use generate-id() to
ensure
uniqueness, but from what you say this is not the case for you.

Where you make the reference, use the <basic-link> construct with the
internal-destination= property being the identifier to which you want
the
user to jump.  Then, the areas created by your <basic-link> become the
"hot" areas for operator interaction: where they click.

>If it is helpful, below please find two kinds of XML excerpts:
>- the typical XML syntax that I use for <link> tags

You will use <basic-link> with internal-destination= the @linkend
attribute.

>- a typical "target" of such a link in XML, one of the 5 types listed
above
>I have arranged excerpts in pairs to give you an idea of how
>the <link> tags and their targets are supposed to "match up."

You will use <block> or <inline> or whatever you need for that
construct,
with the id= being the @id value.

><link linkend="EGMG_ensemble_management_portal">Ensemble Management
>Portal</link>
><chapter id="EGMG_ensemble_management_portal"> ... </chapter>

This is what I do for *all* my internal links in my book
excerpt.  Actually, you will find at the bottom of every page except the

title page 28 internal hyperlinks for access to the table of contents
and
portions of the index.  Also, we have hyperlinked the section numbers of

the XSL-FO specification out to the web document at the W3C by using
external-destination= ... this allows readers to use our books to jump
around the W3C document.  Try it out from any of the section numbers
listed
in the property section.

I hope this helps.

................. Ken

--
Next public European delivery:  3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2003-09-22
Instructor-led on-site corporate, government & user group training

G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                               Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X               Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:     http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc