[xep-support] minor installation and running issues

Oliver Becker obecker at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Thu Oct 16 06:47:50 PDT 2003

Nikolai,

> > 2. The created shell script xep.sh doesn't have execute permissions.
> >   I have to call "chmod +x xep.sh" manually before I can use it.
> >   (This is of course Unix specific. I don't know at the moment whether
> >   and how Java allows changing file permissions ...)
>
> We are reluctant to manage file permissions from our code: it's too
> OS-specific. You can always call the script as an argument to sh,

Yes, but then it's necessary to specify the complete path.
I can't simply enter "sh xep.sh", I would have to write
"sh /this/is/my/complicated/path/to/xep/xep.sh"

> so I don't think we should change anything here.

You can ask for system properties, the value for "os.arch" should give
you a hint. Or you don't care at all and invoke always

   String[] cmd = {"/bin/chmod", "+x", pathToXEP + "/xep.sh"};
   try {
      Process p = rt.exec(cmd);
      p.waitFor();
   }
   catch (Exception e) {
      // ignore if this is a Windows system or something else went wrong
   }

At least you could add a line within the installed readme.txt.
Something like "If you're on a Unix system then change the file
permissions of xep.sh as follows 'chmod +x xep.sh' ..."
(well, perhaps all Unix users should know that ...)

Cheers,
Oliver

|  ob|do        Dipl.Inf. Oliver Becker                             |
|  --+--        E-Mail: obecker at informatik.hu-berlin.de             |
|  op|qo        WWW:    http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~obecker |