[xep-support] minor installation and running issues

Oliver Becker obecker at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Thu Oct 9 03:40:02 PDT 2003

Hello,

I've just installed the academic version of XEP362 (both on a Solaris
and on a Linux machine) and noted three minor issues on both systems:

1. During the installation the text field for entering the target
   directory is not readable. It seems it is just too narrow
   (there is text but only the upper-most pixels are visible).
   Well, using the browse button it's possible to choose the wanted
   directory and everything is ok.

2. The created shell script xep.sh doesn't have execute permissions.
   I have to call "chmod +x xep.sh" manually before I can use it.
   (This is of course Unix specific. I don't know at the moment whether
   and how Java allows changing file permissions ...)

3. In case the formatting stops due to an error, xep.sh should exit with
   an exit code different from 0.
   This will enable to call xep.sh within make or on the command line like
   this "xep.sh ... && acroread ...".
   It seems that the last line "set CP=" in xep.sh causes the script always
   to exit normally without an error code (the exit code from the Java
   invocation is lost). I think you can safely remove this line, because
   the script will finish anyway and the variable CP won't be passed to
   the caller of the script.

The Java version on both systems is 1.4.1

Best regards,
Oliver

|  ob|do        Dipl.Inf. Oliver Becker                             |
|  --+--        E-Mail: obecker at informatik.hu-berlin.de             |
|  op|qo        WWW:    http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~obecker |