[xep-support] Block containing figure and caption: inheritance problems?

Nikolai Grigoriev grig at renderx.com
Thu May 22 02:37:34 PDT 2003

Doug,

> The problem lies in the second case. My image is left-aligned against the
> outer-most block (the one set at xsl:region-body), the attribution is
> right-aligned against that same block, and the caption, while
> appropriately aligned, is wider than the width set on the containing
> block. It appears that the properties of the wrapper block e.g. width and
> alignment, are not inheriting downwards.

'text-alignment' is inherited, actually. Your stylesheet contains an
explicit
text-align="end" in the template for the attribution, doesn't it? I don't
see
any point where it breaks inheritance.

As for the 'width', it is 1) never inherited, 2) should not be used on
fo:block
elements: block dimensions shall be controlled by start/end indents.
(There is no @width listed in the properties of a fo:block element
in the XSL spec). Use fo:block-container to constrain the width
of a rectangular area.

Best regards,
Nikolai Grigoriev