[xep-support] HAXEP

Nikolai Grigoriev grig at renderx.com
Thu May 15 01:13:52 PDT 2003

Mark,

> i'm searching for something that does HTML+CSS conversion to XSL-FO.
> The HAXEP that i stumbled across appears to provide this functionality,
> but i can't find it anywhere.

HAXEP is an old project, coupled to the previous version of XEP.
It was never officially released.

> is this vaporware?

No, it is not. However, the work was completely frozen more
than a year ago; there is no such product at the moment.

> i've seen tools that handle inline styles, but not via a stylesheet.

Ours was a Java app, capable to apply stylesheets (using
a combination of Tidy and Flute). However, it was still
far from producing faithful representation of generic web
pages - mostly because of table abuses so common in today's
HTML code. Our experience makes us believe that generic
HTML/CSS-to-XSLFO conversion is possible only for
restricted input, and will always require manual tuning -
comparable in efforts with direct XSL-FO stylesheet creation.

Regards,
Nikolai Grigoriev