[xep-support] Rendering of non-hyphenated chapter titles

Bernd Kuemmerlen bkuemmer at gmx.net
Mon Mar 24 04:23:03 PST 2003

Hello there,

we have a problem with non-hyphenated chapter titles: When a title
(large font) gets longer than the available width, XEP puts the last
word on the next line but introduces so much spacing between the words
that the second-to-last word is not rendered at all (at least thats how
it looks).

I tried to distill an example which shows this behaviour: This is taken
from an fo-file generated with Norman Walsh's docbook xsl stylesheets
with some small customizations. The Chapter title here is "Changing
Application Preferences". When rendered with XEP, I get

|-----------page width--------------------|
  Chapter         7:         Changing
  Preferences

i.e. the word "Application" is not shown at all
In contrast, FOP gives this result:

|-----------page width--------------------|
  Chapter    7:    Changing   Application
  Preferences

When I allow hyphenation, XEP gives

  Chapter 7: Changing Application Prefer-
  ences

which is more acceptable, but I want to avoid hyphenation in titles.
This seems to me like a bug in XEP...

Cheers
	Bernd
--
"The problem is solved when the problem is solved"
					-- Carl E.